Applications built with Tcl/Tk come together with relative ease. A sticky note facility can be put together in an hour. A simple video game can be created in an afternoon. But as applications get larger, Tcl/Tk code becomes more and more difficult to understand, maintain and extend.
[incr Tcl] provides the extra language support needed to build large Tcl/Tk applications. It introduces the notion of objects, which act as building blocks for an application. Each object is a bag of data with a set of procedures or "methods" that are used to manipulate it. Objects are organized into "classes" with identical characteristics, and classes can inherit functionality from one another. This object-oriented paradigm adds another level of organization on top of the basic variable/procedure elements, and the resulting code is easier to understand and maintain.
The latest release offers better performance and a host of new features:
Since it was introduced in 1993, [incr Tcl] has become quite popular in the Tcl/Tk development community. There is a growing list of applications that rely on it.
- the [incr Widgets] mega-widget set
- the [incr Tk] framework for building mega-widgets
- namespaces for organizing commands and variables
- support for integrating C/C++ code into [incr Tcl] classes
- New Release: itcl2.2p2 for tcl7.6p2 / tk4.2p2
- Windows 95/NT/3.1: binary distributions
- itcl22.exe for Windows 95/NT
- itcl22w3.exe for Windows 3.1
NOTE: If you run Windows 3.1, you'll need to install the Win32s subsystem. You may have already done this. See if you have the win32s DLL (dynamic-link library) at version 1.30. If not, you can download the self-extracting archive and install it.
- Macintosh: binary distributions
- MacItcl2.2p2PPC.sea.hqx (for PowerPC-based machines)
- MacItcl2.2p268k.sea.hqx (for 68000-based machines)
- Tutorial introduction and code examples
More than 150 pages of examples for [incr Tcl], [incr Tk] and [incr Widgets].
- Get the Powered By [incr Tcl] logo for your own web pages
- Join a growing list of contributors
- Are there any restrictions to using [incr Tcl]?
- Is training available?
- Is there a mailing list?
- Where can I download the software?
- itcl2.2p2 source distribution for tcl7.6p2 / tk4.2p2
- itcl2.2 source distribution for tcl7.6 / tk4.2
- itcl2.1 source distribution for tcl7.5 / tk4.1
- itcl2.0 source distribution for tcl7.4 / tk4.0
- itcl-1.5 source distribution for tcl7.3 / tk3.6
- Who is the author ?